Current Affairs Oct 20 2019
1. Surender Singh is associated to which sports?
Ans : Powerlifting (Surender Singh of India created three world records at the ongoing 2019 World Powerlifting Championship in Berlin, Germany. Surender bagged gold in 110 kg category, Classic Raw and the Best Lifter Award in Classic Raw and Single Ply.)
2. WTO is hosting the first-ever World Cotton Day (WCD) in which city?
Ans : Geneva (The first-ever World Cotton Day (WCD) will be hosted by the World Trade Organization (WTO) in Geneva on October 7, 2019. The international day aims to celebrate the advantages of cotton, ranging from its qualities as a natural fibre to the benefits people obtain from its production, transformation, trade and consumption.
3. Who won the 2019 Japan Open tennis title?
Ans : Novak Djokovic (Novak Djokovic enjoyed a dream return from injury to win a fourth title of the 2019 season, beating John Millman in straight sets to win the Japan Open.)
4. The paintings of Jodhaiya Bai Baiga of which Indian state are being showcased at exhibition in Italy?
Ans : Madhya Pradesh (An 80-year-old tribal woman’s artwork is being showcased at an ongoing exhibition in Milan, Italy, news agency ANI reports. Jodhaiya Bai Baiga is from the Umaria district of Madhya Pradesh and has been painting since the past forty years.
5. Indian Army has started its mountain combat exercise ‘Him Vijay’ in which state?
Ans : Arunachal Pradesh (The army will conduct another major exercise, Him Vijay, in Arunachal Pradesh next month to test its new fighting formation, Integrated Battle Group, in mountain warfare.)
6. As per latest data on the Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY), which state’s most cancer patients availed treatment under the scheme?
Ans : Tamilnadu (The Union Health Ministry has recently released data on the Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY), which is the tertiary care arm of Ayushman Bharat. According to report, Tamil Nadu (with 40,056 cases) tops the state where the most cancer patients availed treatment under PMJAY, followed by Keral (22,000), Madhya Pradesh (19,455), Chhattisgarh (15,997) and Gujarat (14,380). The report revealed that there are 11.57 lakh new cancer patients and 7.84 lakh cancer deaths every year in India. At any given point of time, there are 22.5 lakh Indians living with cancer. )
7. Salwa Eid Naser, who became the first woman athlete from Asia to win 400m gold, is from which country?
Ans : Bahrain (Bahrain sprinter Salwa Eid Naser has become the first woman athlete from Asia to win the 400m gold in the ongoing IAAF World Athletics Championships (WAC) Doha 2019. She clocked 48.14 seconds i.e., the third-fastest lap in history and the fastest in 34 years.)
8. Who has become the first Indian cricketer to play 100 T20 internationals?
Ans : Harmanpreet Kaur (Harmanpreet, who has a highest score of 103 in T20Is along with six half centuries, completed this landmark against the South African side in Surat on Friday (October 4) when both teams played an additional T20I, the sixth of the series, after unseasonal rains had forced two games to be washed out earlier. Harmanpreet, who made her debut in the format in 2009 against England, was presented with a special cap ahead of the match by coach WV Raman in the presence of the whole team.)
9. Who has become the first-ever batsman to score twin hundreds in his first Test as opener?
Ans : Rohit Sharma (Rohit Sharma from India has become the first-ever batsman to score hundreds in each innings of his maiden Test as an opener in Visakhapatnam against South Africa. He also broke the record for most sixes in a Test with 13 hits over the fence & surpassed Pakistan’s Wasim Akram who smashed 12 in a game against Zimbabwe in 1996. Beside this, Rohit also became the first Indian batsman to be stumped in both innings of a Test.
10. Mohammad Hasnain, who has become the youngest-ever cricketer to take a hat-trick in T20I, is from which country?
Ans : Pakistan (Pakistan pacer Mohammad Hasnain on Saturday became the youngest player to take a T20 hat-trick. Hasnain, 19 years and 183 days old, dismissed Sri Lanka Bhanuka Rajapaksa (32), Dasun Shanaka (17) and Shehan Jayasuriya (2) is successive deliveries to achieve the rare feat in the first T20I at Lahore.)